Microsoft Teams adds PowerPoint Live, E2EE 1: 1 VoIP calling and more features
At the Microsoft Ignite 2021 event, the tech giant announced a slew of new chat and collaboration, calling, security and privacy, webinar, and meeting features for Microsoft Teams.
New innovations from Microsft Team aim to help people connect, collaborate, and accomplish more together.
Here are all the features / tools that are already available or will be available soon on Microsoft Teams:
- Microsoft Teams will soon get a ‘Dynamic view‘which automatically adjusts the elements of a meeting and customizes the layout for an optimal visual experience.
- Next comes the ‘see switchr ‘which will be available soon in the upper left corner of the Microsoft Teams meeting screen. It will let you control how you view meeting content – interact naturally without visual distractions using Together mode or hide all video streams with Focus or use Full Screen to remove other distractions from the desktop
- Presenter View will soon allow you to customize the way your video feed and content appear to your audience. It includes three options – Come out, Journalist and Side by side
- With the Powerpoint live feature, you as a presenter can now lead meetings with a single view of your meeting notes, slides, chat. It benefits both presenters and audience members
- Live reactions: Microsoft Teams meeting participants can now use emojis to respond in a meeting
- Soon, Microsft Teams will allow you to add a personalized attendee registration page to your meeting / webinar to manage attendance, after which attendees will automatically receive an email confirmation for a simple join experience.
- Teams now supports interactive meetings / webinars for up to 1000 participants. They’ll be able to use rich presentation options, live feedback, and moderation controls to turn off chat, audio, and video.
- In addition, teams can evolve transparently to adapt to 10,000 read-only broadcasts and until the end of this year it will expand to even more broadcasts to 20,000 people.
- Attend reports: This tool will allow you to understand the participation of the participants, for example who participated and how long they participated.
- Soon, customers will be able to log into Dynamics 365 Marketing to deliver a range of marketing activities, following a Teams webinar.
All of these new features in webinars will be available in Microsoft 365 E3 / E5, Microsoft 365 A3 / A5, and Microsoft 365 Government G3 / G5 plans.
Chat and collaboration
- With Microsoft Teams connect, you will be able to share channels with anyone, internal or external to your organization. Currently available as a private preview, the new feature will be rolled out widely later this year.
- From this month, business teams can add a checklist to the tasks they publish and also edit the published tasks without recalling the entire list of tasks
- The the approvals application has been updated with templates, attachment capabilities, and markdown support
- Microsoft teams mobile app will have an updated visual appearance with the ability to automatically switch to a dark theme. The enhanced mobile experience will come first to iOS and then to Android.
Security and confidentiality
- In the first half of 2021, commercial customers will be able to use End-to-End Encryption (E2EE) for VoIP Teams 1: 1 ad hoc calls, an additional option for conducting sensitive online conversations
- Microsoft 365 Multi-geo has been extended to include Microsoft Teams with rollout starting in April
- Later this year, the meeting organizer will have the opportunity to turn off video of an individual or of all participants
- Invite only meeting options: Later this month, a new lobby setting will be available in the Teams meeting options. When this option is enabled, only meeting participants who have been explicitly invited to the meeting will be able to join directly
- Later this month, Microsoft will launch Secure links for teams to protect your business from malicious sites when you click links in Office apps
Outraged, Microsoft announced a number of calling features, smart speakers for Microsoft Teams rooms, Teams panels, new features for Teams display, new certified devices for Teams, among others.